Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fish Tacos

Last year, my mother-in-law took my sisters-in-law and me to Hawaii to celebrate her 70th birthday. On the evening we flew home, we visited a little mexican restaurant in Kahului, not far from the airport. I had fish tacos there and they were DELICIOUS!!!
This week, I have been thinking a lot about Hawaii. It's cold, snowy, and just nasty in general here, so that's where my mind has traveled. I found a fish taco recipe on allrecipes.com that I tried out. They didn't really taste like the ones in Maui, but they were good and definitely worth posting!

Fish Tacos
1 c. flour
2 T. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 c. beer

1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tsp. minced capers
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
1/2 tsp.-1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 qt. oil for frying
1 lb. cod fillets, cut into 1 inch cubes
12 oz. pkg. corn tortillas
1/2 head cabbage finely shredded*

White sauce: In a medium bowl mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in lime juice, then season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.

Beer batter: In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture.

Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375.

Dust fish lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas, but not too crisp.
To serve, place fish in tortilla, top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.

*When I made mine, I sauteed the cabbage for a few minutes in bacon grease. Everything is better with bacon. ;)


Bon appetite!!
Paula, aka Polar Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment