Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cashew Chicken and Crab Rangoons

One of my family's favorite meals that I make is Cashew Chicken and Crab Rangoons. I got the Cashew Chicken recipe from a cookbook I received as a wedding gift nineteen years ago called "Recipes from Bonnie's Country Kitchen". The owner of a small canoe rental and campground nearby published it as a fundraiser.
The Crab Rangoon recipe is one that is found in the Nasoya Won Ton Wrapper package.
Enjoy!!

Cashew Chicken
1/2 lb. chicken breast per person
1 egg per lb. chicken
1/2 c. milk per egg
flour
salt and pepper
peanut oil

Sauce:
4 chicken boullion cubes per 2 c. water
4 T. cornstarch
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. oyster sauce
cashews and sliced green onions

Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Dip in egg/milk mixture. Flour and deep fry in oil.
Sauce: Dissolve boullion cubes in boiling water. Remove 1/2 c. broth and mix with cornstarch until smooth. Pour back into pan and stir. Add sugar and oyster sauce. Cook to thicken. Pour sauce over chicken. Serve with rice, cashews, and green onions.


Crab Rangoons
3 dozen won ton wrappers
1/2 lb. crabmeat, drained and chopped (I use imitation crab, but only if it's good imitation crab--taste it first)
8 oz. cream cheese (I use light)
1/2 tsp. steak sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg yolk, beaten (I use water)
Combine crabmeat, cream cheese, steak sauce, and garlic powder. Place one heaping teaspoon of this mixture in the center of won ton wrapper. Gather edges together, moisten with egg yolk (or water), and pince to seal. Deep fry in hot oil in bunches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.


This meal is not what I call healthy, but when it comes to food, I am all for enjoying it and not worrying so much about the calorie count!!! Everything in moderation.
OCCUPO VICTUS!!
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment