Two days ago, I set out to make veggie pull apart bread. I've made it many times, but this time in particular, time got away from me and I had to suspend my bread making efforts for the day. I put my dough in the refrigerator, covered it with plastic wrap, punched it down a couple of times Wednesday afternoon, and yesterday morning, I picked up where I left off. I wasn't sure what to expect because I've never left yeast dough in the frig for that long, but it turned out very well!!
The recipe was in a Quick Cooking magazine several years ago and I double it. This is the doubled recipe.
Veggie Pull Apart Bread
3 T. butter, melted
1 c. very warm water
1 c. sour cream, room temperature (I use light or fat free)
6 T. sugar
1 T. salt
5 1/2-6 c. flour*
1 T. yeast
Vegetable mixture:
1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped green pepper
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. butter
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Place butter, water, sour cream in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt, 2 c. flour, and yeast. Mix dough on medium setting with dough hooks. Add flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Continue kneading with dough hooks for 6-7 minutes.
Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery, green pepper, and onions in butter. Remove from heat and stir in bacon and cheese.
Punch down dough and divide into 36 balls. Dip into the vegetable mixture. Place in a 9 inch fluted tube pan. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
*When I bake, I usually grind wheatberries and use the flour for part of my recipe. This one in particular has 2 c. of freshly ground wheat flour. The rest is all purpose flour.
Paula
Staff Features: A Glimpse of Grace
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment