Monday, March 15, 2010

Caramel Layer Choco Squares

Here's the recipe for my husband's favorite dessert. I make it once every couple of weeks for him.

Caramel Layer Choco Squares

1 box German Chocolate cake mix
1 package caramels, unwrapped*
2/3 c. evaporated milk, divided
3/4 c. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix cake mix with 1/3 c. evaporated milk and melted butter. Press 1/2 of the dough into a greased 9 x 13 (I use a smaller square casserole dish). Bake for 10 minutes, or until slightly set.
Melt the caramels and 1/3 c. evaporated milk over low-medium heat, stirring frequently.
Pour the melted caramel over the partially cooked cake mix. Sprinkle the remaining cake mix over the caramel. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes.

*You can buy caramel in the baking aisle that is in the form of little pellets instead of wrapped. They are much easier to melt and it saves time because you don't have to unwrap 50 caramels. :) Also, the original recipe calls for sprinkling chocolate chips over the caramel before the remaining cake mix. I have never done this.

Occupo Victus!
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment